Monday, 26 November 2012

Dear students:
This is our last post this semester. Write about the following.

   How do you feel about English in general?

   How did you like this subject at university? What about the use of blogs?
  What aspects of your English need to be improved and how do you plan to do this?
  Outside the English class, how much are you using English these days? What for?

Include any other comments you find relevant to improve the programme

- wordcount: 300
- make comments on 3 of your partners' posts.
The first task for today is to do the "evaluacion docente"
this is important for the English programme.
go to:

Monday, 19 November 2012

Please check the post I put about the oral exam.

Today task is slightly more challenging.

Go to:

Obviously, you can use www. word

> Select a piece of news connected to your area of studies / future career.
> Write a summary of it. Do not copy paste.
> Provide the link to your piece of news.
Please mention the reason why you chose it.

> Leave a comment on 3 of their partners' posts.
> 240 words

Here is some help:
Here is some help to practice for the oral interaction test that will be held on December 10th. Remember you need a partner for this activity (In pairs)It is a good idea to decide on it now.

You will speak about a topic chosen at random for a minimum of 5 mins.
Giving your opinionGiving your opinion neutrally

"I think…."

"I feel that…."

"In my opinion…."

"As far as I'm concerned…."

"As I see it…."

"In my view…"

Giving a strong opinion

"I'm absolutely convinced that…."

"I'm sure that….."

"I strongly believe that…."

"I have no doubt that…"


"What do you think (about /of X)?"

"What's your view (on)?"

"How do you see the situation (of)?"

Agreeing and disagreeing

"I think you're right."
"I agree with you."

Strong agreement
"I couldn't agree with you more."
"You're absolutely right."
"I agree entirely."
"I totally agree."

Agreeing in part

"I agree with you up to a point, but..."
"That's quite true, but..."
"I agree with you in principle, but..."


"I'm not sure I agree with you."
"(I'm afraid) I don't agree."
"(I'm afraid) I disagree."
"(I'm afraid) I can't agree with you."
"(I'm afraid) I don't share your opinion."

Note that when you disagree with someone, you can often sound
more polite by using a phrase such as "I'm afraid..."

Disagreeing strongly

"I don't agree at all."
"I totally disagree."
"I couldn't agree with you less."

Keeping a conversation going
Making comments

"No!" - to show surprise
"I don't believe it!" - to show surprise
"Wow!" - to show admiration or surprise
"That's incredible / amazing / unbelievable" - to show great
interest in the subject of conversation
"How awful / terrible" - to show sympathy with someone else's bad

Asking questions

"Really?" - to show surprise
"And you?" - when someone asks you how you are
"Did you?" - can be used to encourage someone to tell their story.

For example, "I saw her last night" "Did you?" "Yes, she was with one of her friends, and she...."

Monday, 12 November 2012

One great film I've seen in the last few years is a British film called ”Fish Tank”. I actually saw it at home on DVD as I don't go to the cinema very often any more (I've been once this year). The film is an independent movie by director Andrea Arnold and my friend Terry suggested that I watch it. The film tells the story of a young girl from a broken home growing up in a poor part of London. The film is a drama and it stars unknown actors. The lead role is played by Katie Jarvis and it also stars Michael Fassbender who is the star of another movie I was going to write about (and best movie I've seen this year) "Shame" by British director Steve McQueen (A must see movie - Watch it!!!). I enjoyed Fish Tank because it is a very British movie and it relates to elements of British culture that many people don't know about. But it is also the
The young girl in the story is a bit of a loner and has a very troubled home life. Actually, I've just seen that the full film is available (subtitled) on Youtube:) Here is the trailer.

Write about a movie you enjoyed. Say: What it's called, where and when you saw it, which actors star in it, What genre it is, What it's about, Why you enjoyed it. Mention anything else you find interesting. DO NOT write a summary of the movie. DO NOT copy and paste texts from IMDB or any other online site. It is your ideas I am after.
 Leave comments on your teacher's blog and the blogs of at least 3 classmates.

What do you think of this?
just a quick comment below, please

Monday, 5 November 2012

Dear all:
I hope you are well.
Many changes have occurred since we last had a lab class together.
In this blog, we have written about personal opinions and things we can relate to our experiences. This is why today I'd really like to know your opinion on this.
Politics. Why? Because politics is cross sectional and it affects all areas of our lives.  Thinking of municipalities, it is not a minor issue that they decide on the milk children receive, the medicine the local people get, the people who are admitted in certain schools (even though they shouldn’t), if the “morning- after pill” is distributed, the number of parks or football pitches,  among many other things. This is why the major of a borough should not be irrelevant.
In my personal case I believe in a society where there is participation of citizens, where there is respect for each other and where everyone’s opinions count. This is why, even though I strongly believe most politicians suck, I voted 9 days ago. Also because getting rid of the mayor we have/had has a symbolic meaning for those of us who believe in human rights. I have always gone and voted against this person and luckily this time, he lost.
A lot of the right wing mayors in traditionally right wing areas went home. I suppose the most striking fact is the level of abstention (Around 60%).  Does this respond to the political system we have? Or, just the fact that people are more interested in presidential elections?
Maybe this is where you stand, you did not vote because you don’t care. This is valid and worth expressing too.

Write about your position regarding elections and voting .
Did you vote? Why? Why not?
How do you feel about this? Why?
Our political system?
The fact that so many people did not vote?
Any other related ideas that come to mind.
Write a minimum of 240 words and 3 comments.

Monday, 29 October 2012

Dear all:

In your opinion, who is the greatest Chilean of all time?

Who it is,

What he/she did,

Why this person's deeds are important,

What question you would like to ask this person if you met them.

Mention anything else you think is important.

Write 220 words. Comment on at least 3 of your classmate's blogs PLUS one comment on mine
Dear all
Please refer to August around the 27th when I explained the blog evalution.
I also wanted to remind you of the importance of writing your own posts and not copy paste ( I realize this as I mark). This will help you improve the writing in general.
On a different note, in a previous post I put examples of correct English and also a verb list for you to USE when writing.
Kind regards,

Monday, 22 October 2012

Dear all:
Today we will have our first online practice for the final exam. All the tasks listed below are necessary so please don't skip any and take your time so the practice is worth it. You will need headphones for one part.

Please keep a record of the score you get in each activity.


In the following writing activity, read the instruction of what you need to say and then write. If you wish, click on the button that reads (show first letters) and then write the words.

Once you have finished, write a minimum of 150 words describing the activities and the advantages or disadvantages you see in them. Put 2 comments.

Monday, 8 October 2012

If I had to think of one in particular, I guess it would be difficult to give an answer, however, and since I don’t want to be incoherent, I will. I remember one morning in the day of my birthday that my husband woke me up and gave me an envelope. At the time I thought “What a weird present, is it money?” Then I opened it and I realized it was a plane ticket. I remember I was a bit shocked; really, it was a plane ticket with hotel and everything to go to Buenos Aires the weekend after. I did no show much enthusiasm at the time since I had been waiting for something different, I suppose. However, I think this has been one of the best weekends ever. I had never been to Buenos Aires before and we had a wonderful time. We went to the typical sights; we also went to a tango club (and tried to dance!). I spent hours in libraries and got a few books for much better prices. I suppose what I liked the most was the fact that people can be so nice there. Being a capital city, it is a completely different attitude towards others. Less aggressive, I think.  Also, in general the ordinary people in the streets seem so knowledgeable about their history, culture and that is really nice. It seems like culture is everywhere. I really enjoyed it. Now it is one of my good memories.

Write about a present you received.


What it was,

Who gave it to you,

Why you liked it,

Where it is now.

Write a minimum of 205 words and 4 comments.

Monday, 1 October 2012

First day

I still remember my first day at university. Obviously, I don’t remember all the details since it was ages ago, but I do remember special things.

But to set you in the context, let me tell you I did translation first but I was not sure I wanted that. However, I decided I would finish and then study sociology. I finished my course and started working as a translator and teacher. I also got to interpret stuff and I found it really fun and the money was Ok. This is why I thought; maybe I should get a teaching degree after all. I started looking at the possibilities around and wasn’t too impressed. So I decided to go away.

My first day at pedagogy was very exciting. Most classmates seemed younger and really nervous. I remember this very formal teacher talking to us about Education and the importance of being a teacher with a vocation. He also mentioned some really interesting facts about curriculum, assessment, and didactics, which made me think, O.M.G “this is where I need to be”. I listened to all these words as if they were said to me only and I really got engaged.

Then, we had the break and had some coffee with my classmates who mostly had found the speech really boring and meaningless. I remember having a nice chat with Gabriela, we spoke about music and also different places where you could teach. It was a nice day and I’ll never forget that particular first class.
Sociology is still on waiting list...

Talk about your first day at university. Mention:

How you felt

What the first few classes were like

Who you spoke to

What you did

Anything else you find relevant.

Write a minimum of 200 words and four comments in total.
Dear all
Don't forget your blogwork is really important. Not only for your mark but for the learning process. Some of you are doing the work very quickly and not really making progress from class to class.
I have posted common expressions and a verb list below for you to benefit from them.
Please USE them!

Monday, 24 September 2012

I don't normally get involved with the celebrations for Fiestas Patrias or the national holidays. Reason being, I feel nowadays there is little independence to refer to. I always wonder how the native people in our country feel during these celebrations.  But let’s face it; it is a great opportunity to have a relaxing time. I used to go to barbeques with friends or house parties but I never enjoyed going to fondas in Santiago because I always found them over-crowded and over-priced. In fact the only fonda I ever really enjoyed was 10 or 12 years ago when I went to Algarrobo. I went with my darling husband, a British friend of his, Karen, and a very good Chilean friend of mine, Claudio. Connie, Claudio’s girlfriend at the time, was there too. Claudio's parents have a house in Algarrobo and we went to stay there for a couple of days. It was great being near the beach and getting some fresh sea air. Also, the weather was warm and sunny during the daytime and not too cold in the evenings.
The fonda was on the main road leading into Algarrobo and we went twice on consecutive evenings. There were lots of people but the atmosphere was friendly. We did the typical things like play some games, eat empanadas and drink chicha. There was music and people dancing cueca. Later on we drank piscolas and danced (shuffled about!!) to cumbias.
We all enjoy our national holiday for different reasons, I suppose.
Write about a Fiestas Patrias celebration you remember:
When it was,
What you did,
Who you were with,
Why you enjoyed it.

Mention anything else you think is interesting. Write at least 250 words. Leave a comment on your teacher’s blog and on the blogs of 3 classmates.
If you have extra time, visit

Monday, 10 September 2012

my friend

Hi everyone:
Since today we are talking about personal things, I'd like to talk about a good friend of mine. I met Ivonne in around 2000 because she was a my sister's classmate at Uni and they were pretty close. Later, my sister left to live in the UK and didn't see Ivonne again until around 2005. I am not sure how we got in touch again but I am glad we did because I feel she is really nice company. I like talking to her about anything because most of the time she has wise words to tell me. Plus, she has a great sense of humor and is a very active woman.

I'd say we have  things in common. We like music and arts in general, and we share our sense of humor & we love animals. We don't eat them ! I really enjoy our evening meetings to have a drink and play music. Ivonne plays the guitar magnificently and can pick like few people I have met. But she is very humble about her guitar playing and that is nice too.
She is a lawyer, but one of the smart ones who will always tell you about the details of the legal actions you take. Furthermore,  most of the time she knows what is going on with the laws they will pass or if they already passed them and how they affect us. It is a pitty we only see each other 3 or 4 times a year.
Write about a good friend of yours:


Who it is,

How you met,

What things you have in common,

How often you see your friend.

Write at least 200 words. Leave a comment on  4 classmates' blogs .
Here are some examples so you use tenses correctly. Notice the previous post has a verb list and therefore, you can look at the verb and tense you want to use.

what I normally do:
Nosotros vamos a conciertos 1 vez al año/ Nunca leo sobre arte/ My mama trabaja en su casa. 
 We go to concerts one time a year / I never read about arts / My mom works at home

When I want to talk about a particular occasion.

En esa oportunidad yo fui al campo/  Nosotros estábamos cansados ese día/ Comió el pastel y se fue.
I went to the country on that occasion /We were tired that day/ She/He ate the cake and left.

About things that started in the past and continue to the present...
He estado bien cansada ultimamente/ No he comprado tantos dulces / He querido ir pero no he podido
I have been tired lately/ I have not (haven't) bought many sweets/ I have wanted to go but haven't been able to.

When I am talking about the past and I want to refer to something further in the past.

Ese día me di cuenta que lo había visto más temprano. / Hasta entonces no había tenido tiempo.
That day I realized I had seen him earlier./ I hadn't had time until then.

Si tengo tiempo, te llamare.
If I have time, I will call you.

Si tuviera tiempo, te llamaría.
If I had time, I would call you.

Si hubiera tenido tiempo, te hubiera llamado
If I had had time, I would have called you.

Creo que puedo ayudarte/ Tú deberías trabajar un poco más / Ellos irían si  ella  los invitara
I think I can help you /  You should work a little more (harder) / They would go if she invited them

I hope this helps :)

Monday, 3 September 2012

Frist term

2012 started differently from other years.  With the strike last year we started the year teaching. How bizarre!! Coming to Uni in January was really odd. Plus, I was studying and needed to finish a paper so it was all really strange& stressful. I recall there were a lot of predictions about the interpretation of the Mayan prophecies and the end of the world.  Then, they started talking about massive earthquakes. Remember?  Like there aren’t other things to think of!!!!
However, after March the semester turned out to be good for me. I feel I have learnt a lot about research in education, which is an area I’ve become more and more interested in. I cannot say it has been really easy and some aspects of research methods I still find hard to get. However, I feel learning is probably the best thing; I could never get tired of it.   
At a personal level, I did some swimming until July and then I became too stressed so I stopped. However, I feel it has been a good year. Everybody in my family & my friends are Ok.
The downside at a personal level is that I have not played the guitar or enjoyed live music at all. There are things I feel need sorting out and maybe are not going as quickly as I have dreamt of, like social justice in general, but I suppose we need to be patient and hope politicians realized they are voted to listen to the people and not just make money L

Write about your experiences during the first term of 2012.
- what you learned/studied
- the sports and free time activities you did
- the challenges/problems you had to face
- Others (family, friends, etc..)
- Word Count: 180
- make comments on at least 3 classmates & your teacher post.